- Some 25 projects nationwide to be funded under 2021 CLÁR Programme
- Projects include community and sensory gardens, outdoor spaces and allotments in rural towns and villages
Minister for Rural and Community Development, Heather Humphreys TD, has announced €810,000 in funding to support 25 projects under the 2021 CLÁR Programme.
The funding will support local groups in developing community and sensory gardens, outdoor spaces and allotments.
In practical terms, communities will receive funding for the likes of raised flower beds, wildflower gardens, sensory planting, polytunnels, outdoor equipment, picnic tables and shelters. All projects must adhere to the Leave No Trace principles.
The 2021 CLÁR Programme is a key part of the Government’s five-year rural development strategy, Our Rural Future.
This year alone, the scheme has delivered over €5.7 million for projects across the country.
Announcing the funding, Minister Humphreys said:
“The projects receiving funding today will help to channel the real sense of pride that people in rural Ireland have in their localities and their environment.
“Funding for such community-led projects is at the very core of the Government’s vision for rural Ireland as set out in ‘Our Rural Future’.
“The funding will go a long way in terms of assisting our Community Groups, TidyTowns and Development Associations in making their localities more vibrant places to live and raise a family.
“This funding will lead to the creation of community spaces where people can come together and meet their families and friends.
“The initiative is also key in realising our desire to build an even more environmentally responsible society.
“As Minister, I am delighted to support these 25 projects and I look forward to visiting many of them in the future.”
Examples of some of the successful organisations include:
- Bruckless Community Park, Co Donegal: Sensory space and associated planting, seating and BBQ area – €50,000
- Ballinamore Community Garden, Co Leitrim: Installation of a large polytunnel and a teaching tunnel – €8,438
- Abbeylara Community Garden, Co Longford: Sensory Garden, Outdoor stage, Children’s Play Area and Picnic benches – €50,000
- Ballybay Allotments and Community Garden, Co Monaghan : development of allotments and community garden – € 35,586
- Cappoquin Community Garden/Waterford Area Partnership, Co Waterford: New community garden – €5,085
- Tournafulla Sustainable Living Community, Co Limerick: Transform an area of waste land into a vibrant community garden – €50,000
The full list of successful projects is available at the following link: https://www.gov.ie/en/collection/bd890-clar-2021-funding-approvals/
Today’s announcement is in addition to funding of over €4.2 million for 104 projects which the Minister announced on 30 August 2021 under Measures 1 and 2 of CLÁR and over €747k for 14 projects under Measure 3(b) announced on 2 September 2021.