Go Fishing Week 2021 programme of events to get people “hooked” on fishing
Running from Sunday, 25th of April to Monday, 3rd of May 2021
Monday, 19th of April 2021: Inland Fisheries Ireland (IFI) has announced the line-up of virtual events for Go Fishing Week 2021. The week is a national celebration of fishing and this year is being held online with a programme of virtual events, competitions and social media content. The programme of events will spread awareness of a series of themes over the week including sustainability, protecting habitats and wellbeing benefits. All events are free to attend and partake in and will be accessible for all to join in online. The virtual “Lunch & Learn” webinar details are as follows:
- Sunday 25th of April- Dr William Roche from the Irish Specimen Fish Committee (ISFC) will give a talk on “Irish Specimen Fish- what’s the story”. To sign up to this free webinar click here.
- Monday 26th of April- Bernard Cahill, Education and Sport Development Executive at Water Safety Ireland will give a talk on “Water Safety for Anglers”. To sign up to this free webinar click here.
- Tuesday 27th of April- Evelyn Cusack, Head of Forecasting at Met Éireann will talk about “How the weather on our inland lakes is forecast and the importance of knowing the weather for angling safety”. To sign up to this free webinar click here.
- Wednesday 28th of April- Brian Coghlan, Research Officer at Inland Fisheries Ireland will give a talk on “Barriers to fish migration”. To sign up to this free webinar click here. Catherine Hayes, Inland Fisheries Ireland will give the talk “Something fishy programme – a lesson for teachers!”, sign up here.
- Thursday 29th of April- Dr Tara Gallagher and Nicola O’Gorman from Research and Development at Inland Fisheries Ireland will speak about “Ireland’s Rare Fish”. To sign up to this free webinar click here.
- Friday 30th of April- Dr Ciaran Byrne, Inland Fisheries Ireland will give a talk on “Climate change impacts on our inland fisheries”. To sign up to this free webinar click here.
- Saturday 1st of May- Ken Whelan, Research Director at the Atlantic Salmon Trust will give a talk on “The Amazing life of Atlantic salmon at sea”. To sign up to this free webinar click here.
Along with the webinars there will be a range of podcasts including one on the “Wildlife of the Garavogue River”, “How to…” videos, blogs, competitions and lots more on Inland Fisheries Ireland social media pages. Find us on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/inlandfisheriesireland and on Twitter here: https://twitter.com/InlandFisherIE. Use the hashtag #GoFishingWeek2021 when posting about events and competitions associated with Go Fishing Week.
As part of the event Inland Fisheries Ireland will be running a ‘My Favourite Fishing Place’ photo competition. The competition is a chance to share a place where you love to fish and to let us know about some of the fishing adventures you have gone on.
To learn more about what is happening and how you can get involved, visit www.fisheriesireland.ie/gofishingweek.